Call us: 0800 20 292 we are available 24/7
The seven most frequently asked questions Close
What is MyVanbreda?
MyVanbreda is part of Vanbreda Risk & Benefits, the largest independent insurance broker in Belgium. MyVanbreda keeps your needs in mind to select the best products and negotiate the most extended covers for you. Vanbreda Risk & Benefits specialises in giving advice on, and providing and managing insurance agreements.
Why do I have to register?
By registering, we know who your employer is. This allows you to enjoy insurance terms that cannot be obtained elsewhere. Furthermore, only you will be able to access your contracts and data after registration.
How much does it cost to change my insurance?
Changing your insurance doesn’t cost a thing. What’s more, we manage the entire change for you – you won’t even have to leave your chair!
How is it possible that MyVanbreda can offer such discounts?
Both the insurer and the broker experience huge gains in efficiency thanks to MyVanbreda. Furthermore, Vanbreda Risk & Benefits occupies a strong position to negotiate basic premiums with insurance companies. As we like to share these discounts with our clients, you will be able to enjoy this advantage as well.
Is my data safe?
Yes, your data is completely safe on MyVanbreda. It is processed and stored on the Vanbreda Risk & Benefits Data Management platforms. Furthermore, their employees will treat your data with the utmost confidentiality.
What if I change my mind?
You can revoke the agreement within 14 days, without having to specify a reason. The withdrawal period ends 14 days after the day MyVanbreda confirmed your agreement. More information on revoking an agreement can be found in the footer.
What if I start to work for another employer?
MyVanbreda and its reduced rates apply for all employees and their families of the affiliated companies. When you leave your company, your contract can continue nonetheless. The insurance company, however, does have the right to change your premium to market rates from your contract’s next due date onwards.

Car insurance

Calculate premium
  Options fully insured
  Vehicle never underinsured
  Free number plates

Car insurance

1. Types of car insurance

We will run through the options for properly insuring your car and all the extras.
This allows you to choose the car insurance that best meets your needs. After all, choosing the right insurance package can save you a great deal of money.

Fully comprehensive cover is appropriate when you buy a new car and if you are still paying off a loan for your vehicle. It allows you to avoid the risk of paying off a vehicle that you no longer own due to an accident. Fully comprehensive cover is therefore advisable for drivers who travel long distances and so are extremely dependent on their vehicle.

Limited comprehensive cover is ideal for slightly older or second-hand vehicles. The value of the vehicle is generally not (or no longer) high enough to require fully comprehensive cover.

Civil liability car insurance is a legal obligation. Any vehicle that travels on public roads must be covered by this legally required liability insurance. Even if you decide not to take out fully or limited comprehensive cover because your car is too old or you think the price is too expensive, the cheaper civil liability insurance is a must.

1.1 Civil liability car insurance

Civil liability car insurance is legally required and compensates any victims in the event of a road accident. This compensation may cover both material damage (to the vehicle) and bodily injury (to people).

Please note: you are not permitted to drive on roads without a civil liability car insurance policy.

Civil liability car insurance covers the following items:

1.1.1 Damage caused to third parties while driving

You drive through a red light and cause an accident. Or you failed to give way, resulting in an accident. The damage to the vehicle you collided with and the bodily injury to both the other party and the passengers in your own vehicle is insured in both examples.

1.1.2 Arrangement for vulnerable road users

Civil liability car insurance also provides reimbursement when you are not at fault. if you have an accident involving a cyclist, for example. Any vulnerable road user who falls victim to a traffic accident has a right to compensation for their bodily injury, even if they were responsible for the accident. This applies specifically to pedestrians, cyclists and any passengers in the vehicle apart from the driver. The accident must have happened on a public road or in a publicly accessible place.

1.1.3 Trailer with a maximum load capacity (maximum permitted weight) of over 800 kg

Does your vehicle have a tow bar?
Damage caused by a manoeuvre involving your trailer with a maximum load capacity of under 800 kg is automatically covered. Load capacity refers to the mass of the trailer when loaded. If the maximum load capacity of your trailer is greater than 800 kg, you must include it separately under the civil liability insurance of the vehicle you use to tow it.

1.1.4 Accident assistance

If you are involved in an accident for which you are not responsible in Belgium, the following assistance will be provided:

  • your vehicle will be towed and all passengers will be taken to their destination;
  • a free replacement vehicle will be provided (if repairs are carried out by a garage recognised by the insurer).

What is not covered by civil liability car insurance?

The civil liability car insurance policy will never pay for damage to your own car. Only comprehensive cover will automatically compensate you for damage to your own vehicle.

Your civil liability car insurance policy will not pay your medical expenses if you are injured. It is advisable to take out additional driver insurance to cover this.

1.2 Civil liability + limited comprehensive cover

You can supplement your civil liability car insurance policy (which is required by law) with limited comprehensive cover in order to receive better protection.

Limited comprehensive cover insures your vehicle against fire, theft, glass breakage and natural forces. This means that it covers additional risks beyond just road accidents.

You can also count on a free replacement vehicle after any accident.

1.2.1 Fire

This refers to damage to your vehicle resulting from fire, explosion, lightning strike and flameless combustion. Please note: you should inform your insurer in advance if you transport flammable products.

1.2.2 Theft

This covers theft of the vehicle, only options or components, damage or write-off due to theft and damage or write-off as a result of attempted theft.

The theft cover is invalid if:

  • you leave your vehicle in a public place or an unlocked garage and do not take the necessary security precautions (e.g. failing to completely lock your vehicle, leaving your keys in the vehicle, not switching on the mandatory anti-theft system);
  • the perpetrators or accomplices live in your home;
  • the thieves were hired by you.

Objects you leave in your vehicle (e.g. laptop, mobile phone or sat nav) are never insured against theft.

What happens if your stolen vehicle cannot be found?

  • If your vehicle is not found within 30 days after you make your claim, the insurance company will pay the value in accordance with the compensation base rate in the policy;
  • If your vehicle is found within 30 days after you submit your claim to the police or the insurance company, the insurance company will pay for any damage to the vehicle;
  • If your vehicle is found after the insurer has paid out compensation, the policyholder can take possession of the vehicle again provided that they reimburse the compensation minus any repair costs.

1.2.3 Glass breakage

The replacement or repair of the windscreen, side windows, rear window and sunroof are all covered.

1.2.4 Natural forces

This refers to damage caused by natural forces such as flooding, earthquake, hailstorms, snow pressure or collisions with animals.

1.3 Civil liability + fully comprehensive cover

Fully comprehensive cover reimburses all damage, even if you are personally responsible for it. The insurer will pay out the value of the vehicle if it is completely written off.

The fully comprehensive cover almost always includes an excess or deductible. This amount may vary from insurer to insurer. The excess is the amount that the insurer will not pay and that you will have to settle. This may be a fixed amount, or a percentage of the insured value of your vehicle. The excess is determined when your contract is underwritten.

1.4 Additional guarantees

  • Driver insurance: among other things, your civil liability cover reimburses bodily injury to any victims apart from yourself. Fully comprehensive cover only reimburses material damage. A driver insurance policy allows you to insure your own physical injuries too.
  • Travel and breakdown insurance: towing costs, repairs abroad, a replacement vehicle, repatriation... Travel and breakdown insurance covers all of these costs.
  • Legal aid: Is the driver of the other party uninsured in the event of an accident? Are they unable to pay? Your legal aid cover helps you to enforce your rights on a judicial level.

2. Important documents

2.1 Green card

Every driver who takes out civil liability insurance receives a green card. This card proves that your vehicle is insured.

The green card contains the following information:

  • the insurance company where you are insured;
  • the country in which your insurance policy was taken out;
  • the period for which you are insured.

The green card or insurance card is a document that you are legally required to keep on board your vehicle at all times.

You must be able to present your green card during a police inspection. If you do not have this document with you then you risk being fined. For the police, it serves as proof that you have taken out the minimum insurance required by law.

In the event of an accident, you will need your green card in order to complete the accident claim.

2.2 Registration certificate

In order to drive on the public highway, your vehicle must be registered with the DIV (Dienst voor Inschrijving van Voertuigen, or vehicle registration service). You will receive a registration certificate when you register.

How to get a registration certificate

You can apply for a registration certificate by completing the pink form, which you can obtain in one of several ways:

  • when you purchase a new vehicle, you receive the pink form from the dealer you bought your vehicle from;
  • when you buy a second-hand vehicle, the seller will give you the pink form that they received during the technical inspection.

How to register your vehicle

You can do this via MyVanbreda.

New number plates normally cost around 50 euros. However, when you register your vehicle online via MyVanbreda, you receive both number plates for free.

2.3 Accident claim

You never know when you might become the victim of an accident. That's why you should make sure that you have an accident claim form in your vehicle at all times.

This is because you are obliged to complete an accident claim in the event of an accident. This allows you to provide a detailed description of the circumstances of the accident. You only need to complete one accident claim for all the vehicles involved.

How to complete the accident claim form

Because an accident is often a confusing and emotional experience, we recommend that you fill in some of the information in advance:

  • information about the policyholder based on the green card;
  • information about the vehicle using the car registration certificate;
  • information about the insurance company using the insurance card.

You will still need to add some more information to the claim form after the accident. This information allows the insurers to determine who is liable.

Add the following information to the top section of the accident declaration form:

  • the location of the accident;
  • the date and time of the accident;
  • any damage other than that sustained by the vehicles (for example, to lamp posts, barriers, etc.);
  • the details of any witnesses;
  • any casualties, even if they are only slightly injured.

You should add the following information in the column concerning you:

  • information about the driver (who does not need to be the same person as the policyholder);
  • tick the box that best describes the accident;
  • indicate where your vehicle was hit first;
  • the visible damage to your vehicle;
  • any other comments or observations.

Draw a clear sketch of the circumstances of the accident. Use the correct proportions, specify the obstacles on the road, and indicate where the cars first collided.

Once you have completed the accident claim form, you should check to make sure that the other party has also completed everything correctly.

The claim form is the same everywhere in Europe. Naturally, it is written in the local language(s).

Why take out insurance via MyVanbreda?

  • Access to the best insurance cover
  • Save hundreds of euros per year
  • Insured quickly and easily
  • Over 75 years of experience
  • Your insurance policy cancelled free of charge
"MyVanbreda is very user friendly. Before you know it, you're insured and you've also saved a fair bit of money"
Joy De Wit subscribed a fire insurance
"The buying process on MyVanbreda is all online. Yet if I have questions or need to make a claim, I have my own contact person."
Tom Schrijvers subscribed a car insurance
"At my insurance broker's I was told that no discount was possible. Via MyVanbreda, I nevertheless saved 200 euro per year"
David Verschoren
"I chose my policy at my own pace. I took the time to figure out which insurance policy gave me the best value"
Elke De Coensel subscribed a car insurance


Calculate premium